Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Guidance for food businesses


Quick links:

Safety in the work place

There is guidance to help employers, employees and the self-employed ensure workplaces are safe and compliant.

Risk assessment

Your risk assessment should identify practical actions that protect people from harm and injury. HSE has developed interactive tools to help those working in low-risk offices and shops, understand what they need to do to assess and control risks in the workplace and comply with health and safety law.

Food hygiene

Food business operators should follow the Food Standard Agency’s guidance on good hygiene practices in food preparation and their Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) processes.

A Food Safety Management System (FSMS) that includes existing food hygiene guidance and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) processes should be followed.

Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are touched regularly, using your standard cleaning products. Food businesses can refer to the Food Standards Agency’s safer food, better business (SFBB) guidance for further guidance on expected food hygiene standards.

Food hygiene and safety for food provided for community groups

You do not need a food hygiene certificate to provide food for charity or community groups but you need to ensure that you handle food safely. If you handle, prepare, store and serve food occasionally and on a small scale, you do not need to register as a food business.
If you are providing food on a regular and organised basis, or are setting up a food bank, you may need to register with your local authority

Resources available

© 2022 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ