Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Reporting an accident

This section explains what businesses must do if they become aware of an accident in their workplace

Employers have a legal obligation to report certain accidents in the workplace and work-related ill health. Incidents are reported to a central Incident Contact Centre.

Information gathered centrally enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in conjunction with local authorities to identify where and how risks arise and to investigate serious accidents. Employers can then be given advice on how to reduce the risk injury, ill health and accidental loss. 

Details are passed onto the Health and Safety department to investigate.

All accidents reported under the Reporting of Injuries, Disease & Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 must be reported to the Incident Contact Centre.

Follow this link to report an accident at work during office hours or call 0845 300 9923.
Follow this link to report an accident that has happened outside of normal working hours.

Details are passed onto the relevant enforcers - HSE or local authority to investigate. Our health and safety officers will receive details of reported accidents. Those that meet certain criteria will be investigated, with site visits where necessary and the appropriate follow-up action.

Contact info
Business and consumer services
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 510330


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ