Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Health and safety for residents

We respond to all complaints brought to our attention by residents

Depending on your concerns and the information you provide, our dedicated officers will contact you as soon as possible to let you know they are dealing with your concerns. They may, if necessary request further information regarding your complaint.

You can report your concerns either by calling us on 01582 510330. Whilst we respond to all matters reported to us, we deal with each case on its merits. In some cases we sign post our customers to information that may help resolve their problems without the need for our direct involvement. The common concerns for most residents are as below.

  1. Asbestos in the home
  2. Gas safety – home owners
  3. You work alone
  4. What you need to know if you are doing or having construction and building work carried out
  5. Garden Home – pesticides and their storage

Petrol - domestic storage 

Can I store petrol at home? Yes, although we do not recommend that you do because of the highly flammable nature of petrol.

How much petrol can I store at home? You can only store 2 x five litre plastic cans of petrol or 2 x 10 litre metal cans of petrol. Each container must be permanently marked with the words ‘highly flammable’ and ‘petroleum’. Approved containers can be bought from some petrol forecourts or specialist retailers.

Where can I store petrol? Petrol should not be stored in the house, it should be stored in a well ventilated area like a shed or a garage. It should be kept away from any potential source of ignition. You should check the storage area regularly for leaks or the smell of petrol.

Make an enquiry

Contact info
Health and safety
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 510330
Fax: 01582 546676


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ