Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Occupier’s responsibilities


1.1 Things to do straight away

Contact your utility supplier to arrange supply and ensure that all meters are read on the first day of your tenancy, despite whether you are moving in on that day or later.

Speak to your insurance broker about the range of risks you might need to insure against. Make sure you have the right cover for your individual needs.
It is recommended to find out the position of:
  • The water stopcock
  • The mains electricity switch
  • The fuse box
  • The gas isolator value

1.2 Your responsibilities as a tenant

As a tenant it is mandatory for you too:

  • Pay rent as set out in your agreement; immediately as it is due (further details on how to pay your rent are set out in point 1.4)
  • Pay charges for all water, gas/electricity, telephone and similar services consumed on the premises, and business rates
  • Keep the premise in good and substantial repair. Please refer to your lease or Tenancy Agreement for confirmation of what is your responsibility in your property
  • Inform the council if repairs are needed for which we are responsible. Contacting us when the problem arises will enable us to deal with the repair quickly and efficiently
  • Before making any alteration to the property, contact Fixed Assets Division with details of your proposal
  • Use the premises only for the permitted use and only during the hours of use specified in your agreement
  • Allow the council, or its authorised agents, to enter the premises to carry out repairs at all reasonable times after giving you prior notice except in an emergency
  • Give the landlord proper notice if you wish to leave (as set out in point 2.1)
Doing this will terminate your contract:
  • Do anything which would cause nuisance or annoyance to others. This can include harassment relating to their race, disability, sexuality, gender, religion, age or physical or mental health
  • Use the premises for any illegal or immoral purpose
  • Apply for, or implement, any planning permission in respect of the premises without prior written consent of Luton Borough Council
  • Assign the premises without obtaining the Council’s consent
  • Sublet the premises under any circumstances without the consent of the Council

Tenants of multi-occupied offices, retail or industrial premises may have to pay a variable service charge as a way of additional rent for the maintenance and servicing of the common parts within the building.

Further details are available from the Fixed Assets Division. This is only a broad outline of your responsibilities. You will have other responsibilities, and details will be shown in your lease or Tenancy Agreement.

1.3 The Council’s responsibilities

The Council will:

  • Respect your right to quiet enjoyment of the property and give you exclusive possession of the premises during the term if your property qualifies
  • Give you reasonable notice if the Council needs access to the premises for repairs (except in the case of an emergency when notice may not be possible)
  • Usually be responsible for the repair of the main structure of the property and the roof. This may vary depending on the specific terms in your lease or Tenancy Agreement. Please refer to your lease or Tenancy Agreement for confirmation, or contact Fixed Assets Division for advice if you are unsure. If you occupy a multi-tenanted property, the council will keep its common parts in good repair
  • Comply with the Council’s Harassment Policy and Procedure to ensure that if you experience and report harassment relating to your race, disability, etc that it will be taken seriously

1.4 Paying the rent

Rent is usually payable on the traditional quarter days which are 25th March, 24thJune, 29th September and 25th December.
It is your responsibility as a tenant to ensure that the Council receives your payment, failure to pay by the due date may result in recovery action being taken against you without warning.
Please note that you should allow four working days for any payment made at the bank or post office to reach account. If you do not receive any invoice one week before your payment is due, please contact Sundry Debtors Section on 01582 546636. The available methods of payment and contact telephone numbers will be shown on each invoice and it is recommended that you ask about payment by way of direct debit.
If at any time you are unable to pay the full sum by the due date, you should contact Sundry Debtors Section on 01582 546636 for advice.

1.5 Getting repairs done

To find out who is responsible for a specific repair please refer to your lease or Tenancy Agreement. In most instances the Council is responsible for the repairs to the structure of the building, with internal repairs being your responsibility. If you are unsure who is responsible, contact Fixed Assets Division for advice.
If you are a tenant of a neighbourhood shop and have a Council flat above your property, then you should refer any problems, such as water leaks coming from the flat, to hot desk tenancy enforcement housing on 01582 547278.
Let the Council know promptly when any repair for which we are responsible needs carrying out, either contact Fixed Assets Division by phone or inform us in writing. If the repairs are not carried out promptly, please let us know so we can chase them up for you. Do not stop paying the rent as this will give right to take action against you.

1.6 Safety in your property

  • Keep all fire escape routes clear – don’t block them with items such as furniture, bikes, rubbish bags or stock
  • Don’t overload your electric sockets and wiring
  • If you go away for a long period or during the winter, turn the water off and drain the tank to avoid problems with your pipe work such as frozen pipes
  • Keep the premises secure
  • If you experience harassment because of your race, disability, sexuality, gender, religion, age, or physical or mental health, report all incidents to Fixed Assets Division
© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ