Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS)
The government have launched the EBSS alternative funding for certain households to further assist with rising energy costs.
How to apply: enter 'apply for the alternative fuel payment' in the search bar on GOV.UK.
Criteria for this funding
- The household that support is being claimed for is the main or only home address of the person to receive the support.
- The resident or applicant is responsible for paying the household energy bill. This means either directly or as part of a service charge, rent, or other arrangement and may have the impact of increased energy bills costs passed on to them between 1 October 2022 and 31 March 2023.
- The household is not already receiving EBSS payments in whole or in part.
- The household is not a business premises or other form of non-domestic premises. It must be used solely or mainly for domestic purposes. This is except for businesses whose main business activity is to provide long term residential accommodation (such as landlords).
The eligibility for the schemes has been set by the Government and eligible groups will include:
- park home residents
- tenants who pay for their energy through a landlord with a commercial supply
- partly and wholly self-funded care home residents
- house boats on residential moorings
- households on a private electricity network
- off-grid households
- traveller households on authorised sites
- domestic farmhouses paying on a commercial supply
Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS AF)
This scheme will provide a one-off, non-repayable grant of £400 to eligible households who have not been able to benefit from the main scheme as they do not have a direct contract with a domestic energy provider.
What happens after your application
After you apply, we will check that you live at the address you apply for.
You will be told about the progress of your application by email or letter. You should get a response within six weeks.
If you are eligible, we will arrange a one-off payment. You do not need to repay this money.
Please note: households will never be asked to apply for EBSS Alternative Funding or AFP Alternative Funding by email or text.
Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP)
The domestic Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) provides a £200 grant payment to UK households that use alternative fuels for heating instead of mains gas.
You may be eligible if both the following are true:
- your household is not connected to the mains gas grid
- you use alternative fuels as your main form of heating
How to apply
How to apply: enter 'apply for the alternative fuel payment' in the search bar on GOV.UK if you do not get it automatically.
Please do not contact us about the scheme, as we'll be unable to answer your questions.
Instead, there is a dedicated GOV.UK call centre for any enquiries or those who require assistance to make an application.
- Freephone telephone number: 0808 175 3287
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
For more information about these schemes, please see government's press release: vital help with energy bills on the way for millions more homes across Great Britain and Northern Ireland.