Local Welfare Assistance (LWA)
Sources of help
From CAB to DWP, there are agencies out there to help during times of need.
On this page...
Local Welfare Assistance (LWA) could help you in limited cases if you or your family are in severe financial hardship, especially if there is a risk to health or safety.
The fund does not give out cash payments, but may provide:
- referral to the local food bank
- help with fuel payments
There are several agencies both local and national that can help during times of need, whether that is providing food vouchers or helping with fuel payments.
Expand this tab to find out more about each agency.
Noah Furniture Store
Telephone: 01582 484001
Website: NOAH - The Funiture Store
Open: Monday to Saturday 9.30am to 6pm (closed Sundays)
Address: 54 Church Street, Luton, LU1 3JG
Selling household furniture and white goods, new and pre-used, of excellent quality, at a fraction of the original cost.
Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
Telephone: 0344 245 1285
Website: Citizens Advice Luton
CAB offers a wraparound service (financial advice), food vouchers and help through a crisis.
DWP - Budgeting Loans
Telephone: 0800 169 0140
Website: DWP - Budgeting Loans
Budgeting loans can help to pay for essentials like furniture and clothes, or one off costs like funeral payments.
We may be able to help you if you:
- have access to public funds
- been continuously resident in Luton for the previous twelve months
- have not been housed in Luton by another local authority
- are entitled to a qualifying benefit such as:-
- Income Support
- Universal Credit
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment Support allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Support
- don't have savings you could use to meet the need
- are seeking support to pay for an approved item
- don't have enough resources to prevent serious risk to your own, or your family’s health or safety
- you're waiting for your first DWP payment
- you have a change in your circumstances, but remain on DWP benefit
- if your DWP benefit has been disallowed
- or DWP benefit has been sanctioned
- you are a full time student
- you're in full time employment
- you're living with relatives
If you have any questions regarding delays in your benefit payments you will need to contact your local DWP office, who may be able to grant you a short term benefit advance.
If you have a health condition or disability that prevents you from using the internet you can get in person support at the address below.
- Penrose Victoria House, Victoria Street, Luton LU1 2UA
We'll be able to support you to make an application online Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10am to 4pm.
We may also need to see other evidence including bank statements or your tenancy agreement depending on what help you are asking for.
We'll assess your application to see if you are eligible for assistance, we may have to contact you by telephone for further information.
Please ensure you provide a contact telephone number and email address.