Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Local Welfare Assistance (LWA)


Local Welfare Assistance (LWA) could help you in some cases if you or your family are in severe financial hardship, especially if there is a risk to the health or safety in your household.

The fund is able to assist with referrals to:

  • local food banks
  • fuel payments

Please note: the fund is unable to assist with cash payments

The fund is discretionary, there is no statutory right to support. We will help applicants who are able to demonstrate that they cannot access any other form of financial help or assistance.

Open all

We may be able to help you if you:

  • are a resident in Luton
  • don't have access to enough resources to prevent a serious risk to your own or your family‚Äôs health or safety
  • are on a low or reduced income or entitled to a qualifying benefit such as:
    • Income Support
    • Universal Credit
    • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
    • Income-related Employment Support allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Council Tax Support
  • don't have access to savings that you could use to meet the need
  • We can't help you if:
    • you cannot prove you are a resident of Luton
    • you have been housed in Luton by another local authority
    • you do not provide proof of your circumstances(if requested)
    • other resources are available to you

    Apply for Local Welfare Assistance

    If you do not have access to a computer or the internet, you can make an appointment to use the self-serve systems at Luton Access.

    Luton Access is located on the first floor of Luton Central Library. To book an appointment call 01582 510373 between 9-5pm Monday to Friday (10-5pm Wednesday)

    If you have a health condition or disability and require help to complete an application, support is available from Penrose Synergy

    Contact details for Penrose

    We'll assess your application to see if you are eligible for assistance.

    We may have to contact you for further information, we may also need proof of your circumstances such as bank statements, proof of residency etc., please ensure you provide a contact telephone number and email address.

    Applicants are advised that when a decision is made we will call or email you. Please check your emails regularly. Our telephone number may not display on your phone, ensure you answer all calls or have a messaging facility; we will not make numerous attempts to contact you.

    Other sources of help

    Search the Luton Directory for local services supporting vulnerable adults, families and children, and young people.

    Contact us

    Telephone: 01582 510332 or 0800 456 1673. Lines are open:

    • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 9am to 5pm
    • Wednesday - 10am to 5pm

    Email: [email protected]

    If you're in crisis or have an emergency when our phone lines are closed please click on our list of emergency contacts.

    © 2022 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ